AdSense

Sunday 2 November 2014

Tabletop terrain - the castle part I: wall

(Deutsche Version) I always liked sieges very much, therefore there had to be some kind of castle in my terrain. At first I will start with the easiest part of my castle. A straight piece of wall.

The first thing you have to consider is how to fit two wall pieces together. My plan is the following:
On the left, you can see how the merlons should look like. On a transition from one wall peice to another, two 1 cm wide high pieces meet and form a "normal" 2 cm wide high piece:
The wall is made of styrofoam, I use a 6 cm thick plate for the wall and another 1 cm thick plate for the merlons. This is now glued together and then painted. Prior to painting:
The first layer of colour - I use full-shade tinting colour which you can buy cheaply.
As a next step (and to improve the look) I  use a method called drybrush. The brush is dipped into a little colour which is then wiped off onto a piece of paper. Now you simply take the dry brush and brush above the grey colour - you can see the result here:
I think that the structure of styrofoam (which you can see even better after dry brushing) looks pretty good. Alternatively you could use extruded polystyrene (XPS), this material has a flat surface and can be cutted more easily. If you want to see any structure, you have to scar this into the XPS. This can look better than with styrofoam but is more expensive and takes more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment