AdSense

Sunday 2 November 2014

Tabletop terrain - hills

(Deutsche Version) In this post I want to introduce some new terrain plates: Hills. As like all my other terrain pieces, I build them from styrofoam. I also use the base plate made from wood on which I glue all the other things.

I defined the height of the hills as 5 cm, this fits to the 28 mm figures. Let's figure out the transition between two terrain pieces. This has to be the same for all hill pieces for being able to combine the terrain in any way. I build the hill from 5 plates of 1 cm thickness which are 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 cm width. The scheme looks like this:
Now you can build the first basic shapes: Edges and corners. For a corner you need 5 pieces in the size of 12x12, 11x11, 10x10, 9x9, 8x8 cm. These are glued on top of each other fitting to one edge.
Now, this looks a bit like a hill. To improve it, you can easily tear off parts out of the styrofoam which looks a bit more like rocks than the 5 plates before.
Now you have to paint the hill. The two plains in brown and the rest in grey. All the grey parts are then drybrushed in white and then grass is put on the plains.
I would suggest to tear off more styrofoam than in this picture (this was my first try so it does not look that good). You can now build additional pieces like edges or inner corners.
The elevated plain is simply a 6 cm thick block of styrofoam glued on a wooden base plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment